- AGV Co-Secretary, 2008-2009
- State Executive, 2007-2009
- Convenor, Victorian Campaigns Elections and Communications Committee, 2008
- Secretary, Victorian Campaigns Elections and Communications Committee, 2007
- National Councillor, 2009-2011
- National Conference delegate, 2008, 2009, 2010
- State Councillor, 2006-2011
- Candidate for Kilsyth in the 2010 state election
- Member since 2006
I know Alex will be an excellent parliamentarian – her integrity, intelligence and infectious enthusiasm are attributes always needed in parliaments.
However, what makes Alex a standout candidate to be our next Senator is her firm commitment to Greens principles of grassroots democracy and consensus decision-making. Our democratic processes require commitment, patience and energy, but they are the reason why many members are prepared to go the extra mile for the party.
For years, Alex has ably represented Victoria at Australian Greens meetings. There she has gained respect across the board, and across the various state and territory parties, in part because of her strong negotiating skills, exhibited most recently in the successful resolution of the notoriously difficult Australian Greens budget. These skills will be as useful in parliament as they have been within the party.
And yet, despite liaising with MPs and other high-profile members, Alex remains active in her local branch – welcoming new members to the party, running issues-based campaigns, representing her region on State Council, and encouraging others to do the same.
It is all these qualities that I seek in a Senator – Alex is someone who will represent the Greens as successfully externally as she has internally.